Today I learned a bit of Clojure, and learned about a Julia plotting library called Gadfly.jl But it didn’t feel super productive, and now I’m thinking a bit about what my goals for Hacker School are. I think they’re something like:
- Contribute to open source projects! This is happening.
- Write a non-trivial piece of software from scratch that I feel good about the design of. This is not happening at all. Still hunting for something which is the right size and which I can care about enough to do it.
- Feel better about my ability to design good code. Also not happening yet.
- Learn about concurrency, because I don’t even.
- Learn about how to write practical functional programs.
To address #3, I think I need to spend more time reading well-written code. I’m still not sure about #2. Or #4. Or #5.
So far the things that have taught me the most were:
- doing a bit of async programming
- Learning about how Python bytecode works